Monday, May 24, 2010

Kandinsky-inspired Stained Glass

I showed a variety of Kandinsky's abstract works (such as "Yellow Red Blue").  The students investigated the use of shapes and lines.  We also examined how composition works and how it can create an 'obstacle course' for the viewer to look around the painting.  The fourth graders created a composition using black construction paper.  They created a black frame first and then cut long curvy and  angled lines to create a stained glass-like outline with open spaces.  We used glue sticks and some staples for reinforcement. For the window panes we used pieces of colored transparency paper (which could be overlapped to create new colors) and also some colored sharpies for little designs.

1 comment:

  1. I wish you could have been my art teacher! This is amazing! Truly amazing. I am getting so many ideas for my kids (I run an afterschool program). Can't wait to try some ideas out

    ReplyDelete